The Office of State Representative Joan Meschino (D-Hull) is currently hiring for the position of Legislative Aide.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, a brief cover letter, and a short writing sample (3-5 pages) to the Representative’s Chief of Staff, Geordie Enoch, at email@example.com. The office will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The full job description is here:
The Legislative Aide (LA) plays a central role in the office of Representative Meschino. The LA is responsible for legislative, office and district activities, including bill filing, bill tracking, policy analysis, constituent services, scheduling and strategic communications. The LA serves as liaison to federal, state and municipal agencies and staffs the Representative at State House events, district events and office hours as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Constituent Services and District Work
- Manages constituent casework and serves as constituent liaison to federal, state and local government agencies,
- Continually screens active cases and acts as liaison with constituents to ensure that their cases are handled in a timely and responsive manner,
- Conducts meetings with constituents, advocates, lobbyists and others regarding pertinent policy matters,
- Coordinates constituent visits to the State House,
- Logs incoming and outgoing phone calls, email and constituent casework.
- Creates and implements office media strategy,
- Responsible for social media operations, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter,
- Drafts weekly press releases and social media posts, as well as remarks and statements in a timely manner,
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the Representative’s website,
- Creates design and content for the Representative’s monthly e-newsletter and other printed materials,
- Monitors local, state, and national media outlets, briefing the Representative on relevant matters and trends.
Legislative and Policy Work
- Manages and implements the Representative’s legislative strategy,
- Drafts, files and tracks the Representative’s bills, as well as manages the Representative’s bill co-sponsorships,
- Drafts testimony and comment letters for legislative committees, executive branch agencies and regulatory proceedings,
- Tracks legislation, briefing the Representative for committee work, speaking events and district events,
- Prepares the Representative’s briefings before legislative session and monitors legislation on the House floor during session to provide the Representative with information on each vote,
- Collaborates with other State House offices and relevant caucuses on policy initiatives.
- Manages the Representative’s schedule with precision and finesse,
- Maintains office supply inventory,
- Recruits and manages interns and district volunteers throughout the year,
- Participates in training sessions and other professional development.
- Maintains a good working relationship with State House staff, local officials and constituents,
- Meets deadlines as set by the Representative and the legislative calendar,
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree or higher education level with strong academic credentials is preferred. Prior legislative experience at the State House, and client services and communications experience are a plus.
- Ability to think critically and work both independently and as part of a team,
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the formulation and recommendation of policy positions for the Representative,
- Ability to produce high quality work under pressure in a fast-paced environment,
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
- Experience in a professional office setting,
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, comfort level using website and database tools and social media tools are a plus,
- Sense of humor is a must!
The House of Representatives is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Dated: September 1, 2022